Re: FTP via terminal

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: FTP via terminal
On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 11:39, Michael Sammartano wrote:
> Ok, I got Apache working, but now I am tryin to transfer all of my
> windows web files to Linux via FTP as I can not get Samba working. I
> aslo tried to download them using http, but that just hung up system.
> I can connect using a browser, but I can't download, so I am trying to
> use a terminal. I do not know the commands at all to download, and the
> help command is NO HELP.
> Any advice is welcome.
>
> Beware the windows killer, "LINUX"!!!

----
beware the windows killer? From someone that can't get samba or ftp
working?

which Linux? which ftp? which user? where is users $HOME?

useradd -g ftp webdesigner -d /var/www/html
# means add a user webdesigner, put him in primary group ftp, make his
home directory /var/www/html (base of primary web server on Red Hat -
YMMV)

passwd webdesigner
# prompts for a password for this account

chown webdesigner /var/www/html/* -R

Then IF ftp is actually up and running, you can log in as user
webdesigner and be put directly in the /var/www/html subdirectory.

Then IF ftp is actually up and running and you can connect, you can
upload your files... from cli:
put filename  #upload single file
mput filename #upload globbed files (usually wildcard such as
get filename  #download single file
mget filename #get globbed files - see above

Craig