Re: driver->canon F50

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: driver->canon F50
Mike, yes, they exist, the question is, does Linux
have a driver for them also. The real problem is that
the F50 uses driver software that apparently no one
has written yet, nor probably will. There are about,
oh, 1/3 of the world's printers that wont work with
linux because someone that knows the linux kernal well
enough to write a driver for it. That is unfortunate,
but that is the way it is.

--- Vaughn Treude <> wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2004 01:58, you wrote:
> > You know, after reading up on this printer it
> appears that it has a USB
> > cable. I don't see a USB connector on the back,
> only a parallel port. That
> > is why I just used my old cable. Are the printer
> cables USB on one end and
> > parallel on the other? There is a square port with
> a squigely lie next to
> > it; is that the input for the USB cable? I suppose
> that port doesnh't
> > matter since there is a parallel cable. Does
> anyone understand what I'm
> > talking about:?) Anyways... do I neede to try it
> with a differant cable or
> > else just get another printer?
>
> USB and parallel are definitely different beasts. I
> imagine you could get a
> USB-to-parallel hardware converter, there seem to be
> converter widgets from
> USB to everything these days. But I don't suppose
> it'd be real cheap.
>
> Vaughn

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe