sblive and alsa (how to make it work the way I want it too)

Author: technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: sblive and alsa (how to make it work the way I want it too)
ok,
I've tried everything I can think of (tech support from creative labs, the
linuxsound website, etc) and all I have to show for it is blotto.

I want the sblive 5.1 sound card to be able to do in linux what it does in
windows: feed analog audio in from line-in to digital-out (internal patch
with a/d conversion). so far, NOTHING I have found works.

The emu10k1 tools provided as part of mandrake 10 tell me that the driver is
either old or incompatible (they won't work). the sources I ahve access to
from sourceforge will not compile under gcc3 (at all) and I don't want to
have to downgrade my kernel back to 2.4.x to get multimedia functionality (it
will break too many other things)

HELP!

jhow to I get my card to cooperate?

Technomage Hawke