Re: Reverse Wildcarding

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Reverse Wildcarding

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 17:11, Ed Skinner wrote:
> rm `ls | grep -v .jpg`
>
> Note the back single quotes are on the key next to the "1" character. When
> you put these around some commands, they are executed and their stdout is
> captured, and that stdout is then dropped in, in place of the back quoted
> expression and the outer "rm ..." is then executed.

I don't know why but this command excited me! I even wrote it down as: what
is in the `` is executed first and becomes the argument for the other
command.
--

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/