RE: Subject: Re: Debian Woody and Samba 2.0 up-grade to 3.x

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Debian Woody and Samba 2.0 up-grade to 3.x
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > You could probably work-around that by doing "apt-get update
> > PACKAGE-NAME-HERE".
>
> Probably. I guess I have never tried that. :)

Now I wonder if that is wrong. I had that in my journal for when I had the
"held back" problem. I think I should have wrote "apt-get update" followed
by "apt-get install PACKAGE-NAME-HERE" instead. apt-get now (maybe always)
says "E: The update command takes no arguments".

> apt-listchanges
> apt-listbugs
>
> I find these INVALUABLE when running unstable to keep a machine in good
> working order. The first "apt-listchanges" takes the change log from all
> packages you upgrade and emails them to for review. The second checks the
> bug trackign system on debian for any "critical/severe" errors before
> installing a package. If it has any it will list them and let you review
> them inline. If you feel the package has issues you can "pin" it so that
> it will not upgrade until the bug is closed.

I didn't know about those. Thanks for the info.

Jeremy C. Reed

                 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
                http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/