Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00
Quoting Trent Shipley <>:

> On Monday 2004-05-24 14:02, Alexander Henry wrote:
> > Someone RSVP'ed with the following requests:
> >
> > 1. Apache HTTP Server
> > 2. Samba (so my other winXP client can access files on the linux server)
> > 3. FTP Server
> > 4. Tight VNC
> > 5. MySQL
> > 6. PHP
> > 7. Oracle 9i
> >
> > I think the big constraint would be Oracle 9i :) NE1?
>
> Per Oracle 9i/10g we would be entirely within our rights to say that it is
> not
> liberty ware and not within our domain of expertise; therefore, we regret not
>
> being able to help.
>
> Nevertheless, if you want folks to use libertyware operating systems, then
> you
> want them to have access to LOTS of applications without regard to whether
> those applications are FOSS or not. So installing Oracle 9i or 10g would be
>
> A Good Thing.
>
> I'd recommend calling the local Oracle sales rep. Oracle offers the
> developer's version of Oracle 9i/10g gratis on Linux as a loss leader. A big
>
> developer community is GOOD for Oracle. (Indeed, SQL Server seems to draw on
>
> a much larger talent pool and that is a problem for Oracle.)
>
> The problem with Oracle database gratisware is that you can't DO anything
> with
> it (except development). To deploy a commercial version of Oracle 10g you
> need to spend MUCHO $$$$.

I agree; you can download the enterprise versions of oracle at oracle.com,
however getting a license to use it in a production environment is costly.

8i/9i/10g are certified on different platforms. You can get Oracle to work
on a non-supported platform with a lot of work by installing compatibility
libraries, setting environment variables,etc but Oracle won't support your
installation if it isn't one they certify. Installs go a LOT easier if you
have the right linux distribution installed (same kernel, glibc,libc,etc).
Once you have a supported platform the java installer works much better :)

I've installed Oracle on non-supported machines many times though.
It just takes more time and google ;)

Last I checked, the standard edition of Oracle was around $800.

As for libertyware, I agree.
Installing/Configuring Oracle products takes a good chunk of time and expertise.
I generally want to be paid unless some sort of fair trade can be made.

I'm far more willing to give away free time with open source products because it
helps propegate something I love.
I give all of our clients CD's with open source software.
The cd's cost a little money and they do take time to create and burn but it's
worth it.  I like that they don't need to go out and buy *anything*.  We give
them imaging editing software, pdf creation tools, file transfer utilities,
mozilla, and everything else they need maintain their web site.

I started adding windows updates recently. After they get boinked with the
email virus of the week and call for help I nudge them to use mozilla as their
default browser instead of IE/Outlook:)

> So, maybe Oracle would like to provide a technical sales rep? Maybe the
> company would want to run a seminar?

We might be able to get help from the Arizona Oracle Users Group (
http://www.azora.org/azora/ ).
--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC