Re: bewildering .bashrc

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: bewildering .bashrc
Michael Havens wrote:

> This is like so weird! I decided that I wanted konsole to load automatically
> after I started KDE. So I put an entry into /home/<user>/.bashrc and I
> restarted KDE. KDE comes up and nothing happens. I rechecked .bashrc and
> restarted KDE but again..... nothing happens. So I click the konsole icon and
> konsole appears..... then another one appears...... and another, and another
> (I stopped this by hitting alt-F4 after 5 of them automatically formed) So
> then I take my added feature out of .bashrc, restart KDE, and everything goes
> back to normal.
>
> Any ideas what is causing this?

.bashrc is not processed by X, only by a shell. So it doesn't spawn konsole
when you start X, but will then get caught in a loop as each Konsole window
spawns another.

If you really want Konsole up when you login to KDE, start it up, then have KDE
save your session when you logoff and it will restart all the apps you had going
when you logged off the next time you login.