Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month

Author: alandd@consultpros.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month
> A friend (co-worker), a died in the wool MS type, is building a box for
> Linux. He plans to make this months InstallFest. He wants to know if
> WINE will be available as he wants to try migrating as much of his MS
> type utilities etc. to Linux as will migrate.

All major distros come with WINE or, with the network connection available
at the InstallFest, it can be downloaded and installed easily enough.

A word of caution about WINE: Most MS Windows applications work on it in
a usable way. Many do not. It would be a good idea to make him aware
that WINE is not perfect. They are handicapped by having to reverse
engineer undocumented behavior, in many cases.

If he has applications for which there are no acceptable Linux native
functional equivalents, he may want to invest in the commercial versions
of WINE, like Crossover from Codeweavers
(http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice/?ad=5).

It's a good idea to research his specific applications in the WINE
database here: http://appdb.winehq.org/. This will give him a better feel
for what support to expect from WINE for the applications that are
important to him.

Of course, I would encourage him to find functionally equivalent,
Linux-native applications, where possible. ie. try GnuCash in place of
Quicken or Quickbooks, etc.

> No flames please.

I agree. Summer's here and Phoenix is already hot enough!

Alan