Re: jump to May 6 in a log file

Author: Jay Jacobson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: jump to May 6 in a log file
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Gary Nichols wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2004, Jim Smith wrote:
>
> > I have a log file and I want to go to May 6 in it I tried / and then
> > May 6 with qoutes without qoutes with single quotes etc but no go,
> > what am I doing wrong?
>
> There are some opensource tools that do just that, but you probably just
> want to whip out a:
>
> grep "May 6" logfile | more

Indeed. Particularly make note of the two spaces between "May" and "6" in
Gary's example. This will get you every time. Lookig for "May 6" will not
return anything, but "May 6" will return what you are looking for. Two
spaces generally required when the day is a single digit.

~Jay

--
..
.. Jay Jacobson