Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00
On Thu, 6 May 2004 19:22:00 -0700, tickticker <> wrote:

> I can probably get a few of those spacewalkers going that I have. I
> have 3 of
> them running now with 2 spoken for. I have a total of 30 left, and I
> should
> be able to hobble about 10 or 15 more together. They are celeron 533
> with 64
> MB ram (though harvesting an extra dimm from the extras should net us
> 128 for
> each), all have built in ethernet, so so video, and a cd-rom with sound
> and
> usb ports. I put Mandrake 10.0 official on one, but the installer
> detected
> my hard drive size (3 gig - UGH!) and the install process reduced my
> package
> choices automatically so I had to install some of my favs by hand.
> However
> the point is it works. I would be happy to lend a couple to the Install
> fests (multipartitioned or removable hard drives for different
> distros?), and
> will probably sell the rest for a couple dozen quid (hint hint to
> pluggers).

That sounds great, except for the 3 gig part, hehe. Did it at least allow
you to get Firefox and Thunderbird, PrinterDrake, openoffice or koffice?
It would be nice to actually DO an install live as a demo on this
repeatedly, get the big four (web, e-mail, office, printing) up and
running in thirty minutes or less. Those are also great candidates for
LTSP demos. We could use those for both, just change the BIOS for network
boot or HD boot to switch between the two.

What do you say you bring them to the next Stammtisch and see what we can
do with them?

Call for volunteer: working LTSP server for the spacewalkers, monitors.
May also double as a fileserver for distro iso's and
.deb/.rpm/.ebuild/.tar repositories, and a web server. Due: indefinite.

> I like mandrake for desktop,

My drop of turpentine to the religious fire: I think the killer app for
Mandrake over others for ordinary users is PrinterDrake and qrpmi.
Everyone wants web, e-mail, office, network printing, maintenance, easy.
Fedora fails in the last two, IMHO, since they never wrote anything better
than a GUI into CUPS (still have to get into the /etc on the print server)
and you still have to open a tarball and compile and config an /etc to get
apt-rpm or yum for anything remotely close to convenient system management.

Actually, after I typed this up, it sounds like the sum total of equipment
and manpower for a decent demo set is within our grasp for June's
installfest:

[demos]
o new Linux installs with e-mail, web, network printer, office. (3
spacewalkers)
o Samba demo with Windows machines that operate on files through apps
(e.g. a common Excel sheet or Quicken file) (LTSP server, 2 Windows
spacewalkers.)
o LTSP demo for small business with data entry terminals. (LTSP server,
3 spacewalkers)
o webserver, phpgroupware, jabber, e-mail server, spamassassin demo for
small business. (LTSP server, remote server, 1 Linux spacewalker, 1
Windows spacewalker.)

[demo equipment]
o 3 spacewalkers
- 3 Linux hd's: e-mail, web, Samba printing, office, GAIM.
- 3 Windows hd's: e-mail, web, Samba printing, GAIM.
o LTSP server, Samba server, .deb/.rpm/.ebuild/.tar fileserver,
webserver, phpgroupware, jabber, e-mail server, spamassassin.
o Remotely located webserver, phpgroupware, jabber, e-mail server,
spamassassin.

Maybe it's not such a pipe dream afterall.

For now, we need one more machine, number two on the demo equipment list,
and the elbow-grease to make it happen. We'll just conquer them one at a
time, in the order I listed in [demos]. Then when we see a future need,
we'll add more demos to those machines or more machines in case those fail.

--

--Alexander