Re: OT: Internet access

Author: technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Internet access
On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:49 am, Don Calfa wrote:
> JD Austin wrote:
> >How many neighbors are we talking?
> >If I remember correctly, a T1 costs about 500/month;
> >if enough people are involved it could actually be cheaper to split
> >a T1 between them. Though dealing with the 'people' issues could make
> >that sort of idea un workable.
> >
> >Just a thought (though maybe a stupid one :) )
> >JD
>
> It's split between no Internet, dial-up and Cox between 30ish people.
> Neighbor reports that nearby neighborhoods are suffering from the Cox
> monopoly as well.
> From who we know, the No Internet and dial-up are already on DirecTV
> for video. The T1 really sounds like a decent idea if I could figure
> out a distribution method and run it by the HOA.

a suggestion: have the HOA get the T-1, and then charge like $19.00 a month
for internet to anyone that wants it. setup some local e-mail/news/etc there
at the HOA building in the neighborhood.
it will look good on the tax statements for the HOA, give everyone in the
development internet (on request) and it can be done wirelessly if need be
from the T-1 interface to the residents.

A T-1 cost is about $1,000 a month (that was a QWORST Quote last week to a
neighbor of mine looking to do commercial service from his home/office).

as far as cox goes, they should have obatined fcc clearance BEFORE even
thinking about cutting service to that development. it is now going to cost
them a lot more money (espeically if everyone there who was affected by loss
of service signes a statement of afidavit and protests any billing issues).

There is the possibility that the outsourced contractor that cox uses for such
things may have screwed up.

if you get any additional info, let us know.

Technomage Hawke