Re: OT: Connecting to win server from linux!

Author: Sanjay Darisi
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Connecting to win server from linux!
Sanjay Darisi wrote:

> Kevin Brown wrote:
>
>> Sanjay Darisi wrote:
>>

>>> May be an OT here, I believe there are windows server gurus too
>>> here. Is it possible to access all the partitions and dirs on a
>>> win2k/XP or server computer from Linux, not thru samba though. With
>>> samba, I know we can access all the network shares on the win
>>> machines. Is there a way to connect to windows machine by admin
>>> username/passwd and access all the drives not just the network
>>> shares. Its in a Local area network i'm talking abt. Like without
>>> having our client component running on windows machines, Is it
>>> possible? I know of few client components sitting on windows
>>> computers and let you connect I guess. But that beats the purpose.
>>> Or is it an impossible and dumb question that I have?? Any
>>> ideas/suggestions? I guess with samba we can't do rite? Only if they
>>> r shared we can access rite?
>>

>> Requires Samba, but you connect to the remote systems default shares
>> that ALL copies of Windows have enabled by default for remote backing
>> up. I can get my entire drives contents by going to:
>>
>> \\machine_name\C$
>> \\machine_name\D$
>> etc... (where C or D is the actual drive letter you want to access).
>>
> Do you mean to say, do smbclient on the machine_name and get list of
> default shares and use admin account to access these drives with
> samba, though these drives are not shared explicitly? Is it possible??
> I will try to do this during the day time today.
>
> Thank you for the info,
> sanjay.

I was able to access on win2K machine but wasn't successful on XP
computer. Is it something different on WinXP computer ??? And how do I
pass usernames with a space in between? Like if a username is "x y" how
do I give that in the samba mount command? And will this work on win2K
server too? 'cos I didn't check this on a win2K server, which is where
I've to use finally?

Thank you,
sanjay.