LDAP Authentication on Debian - help?

Author: George Toft
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: LDAP Authentication on Debian - help?
Has anyone set up a debian box to use LDAP for authentication? I tried
it last night with mixed results:
- LDAP is working fine: I can retrieve the entries, and the command
getent shows entries from files and ldap.
- I can't log in:
- I can't change password:
# passwd gtoft
passwd: Critical error - immediate abort
#

I think my problem lies in my PAM configuration. If anyone has done
this and wants to share their pam configs, I would be very appreciative.

I have googled for the errors I've been getting and have retrieved 0
hits consistently :(  This seems to be trivial under RedHat (or so say
all the web pages I found on the topic).  Debian is another story.
--
CISSP, MSIS           | Kerckhoffs' Principle: If the cryptographic |