RE: AMD64

Author: plug
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: AMD64
What I was getting at is that the Opteron is a "true" 64-bit processor,
just as the Itanium is a "true" 64-bit processor. The Opteron has a
full 64-bit mode of operation, along with various compatibility modes.
The Itanium only operates in 64-bit mode, and must emulate 32-bit
execution, if I am not mistaken. I just thought it was funny that a guy
with an intel.com address said something about how AMD64 processors are
"just a 64-bit extension set to the IA32 architecture" as though it
makes the Opteron any less of a 64-bit processor. AMD is taking the
same approach that Intel took from 16 to 32-bit processing, with their
move from 32 to 64-bit processing. And in fact, Intel is apparently
going to take the exact same approach to the move from 32-bit to 64-bit,
themselves.

The preceding has been my opinion and understanding of the facts, please
let me know if I am mistaken...
-Erik

>>> 04/16/04 7:08 AM >>>

That is what I understood as well, perhaps I am wrong. I do know that
the 64-bit instruction set they use is just an extension to the 32-bit
as 32-bit is to 16-bit (again I guess I could be mistaken but this is
what I understood). The Intel 64 bit Itanium is a different instruction
set (which fixes some of the problems with IA32 instruction set).

That is what I meant by extension, extension to the instruction set.

Anyway...