Re: database

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: database

A couple of people have recommended I do that. Something I need to know is why
you recommend PostgreSQL over MySQL. I mean how is it better; does it have
more of a future; is it easier to learn or is it just differant to learn?

I was advised not to go with it previously because I could get help from more
people if I went with MySQL.

Then again
On Thursday 15 April 2004 17:19, Earl, Alex C wrote:
> > > am I correct in assuming that you need Apache to be running to work
>
> with
>
> > > MySQL?
> >
> > No. MySQL is completely independent.
> >
> > There is a very large and still fast growing field of development,
>
> LAMP:
> > Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. http://www.onlamp.com/ The tools work
>
> very
>
> > well together, and will for a very long time since development of all
> > these is geared toward working together AND working with as many other
> > protocols as possible. For instance, I worked on a project that
>
> included
>
> > a DB2 database, which PHP could interface through an ODBC driver
>
> provided
>
> > by IBM. So it was a part LAMP and part LA[db2]P website. Since this
>
> is
>
> > Linux goodness, you can also write cron jobs that run php on the
>
> command
>
> > line, e-mail users, automatically submit e-mails into a MySQL table,
> > whatever.
> >
> > I also highly recommend http://safari.oreilly.com/ .
> >
> > --Alexander
>
> I personally recommend PostgreSQL over MySQL as well, I failed to
> mention this earlier. I would also recommend using something like PEAR
> to abstract the accesses to the database so that you can plug different
> database servers into the back of your scripts.
>
> Alex

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/