Re: Fundamental issues with open source software

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Fundamental issues with open source software
On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:52 AM, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> You guys have made some very good points about the problems involved
> in FOSS.
> But I'm not willing to give up, and resign myself to Microsoft's
> monopoly,
> or Mac's proprietary hardware. Despite its faults, I'd hate to leave
> the
> Linux desktop, it's got a lot of good features that outweight the bad.
> Problems are also opportunities. The difficulty is coming up with a
> new
> revenue model, because people have to make a living. I still think
> that even
> non-free Linux apps are preferable to their equivalent on Windows,
> because
> the open standards of Linux provide a level playing field. But yes,
> I know
> from experience that distributing a binary application in Linux can be
> quite
> challenging, given the variation in platforms.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that we will *never* see widely
distributed desktop Linux. I just don't expect it to happen very
quickly or very dramatically. It will be gradual with places like call
centers being the first adopters. I think Friedman has it exactly right
in this article:
<http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/qna/
0,289202,sid39_gci959322,00.html>