installed a deb package and system went belly up

Author: Jim Smith
To: plug-discuss
Subject: installed a deb package and system went belly up
I installed fai " Fully Automatic Installation" and once I figured out it was not what I wanted installed I did a apt-get --purge remove fai and then the system went belly up, I can not login to it at all and when it boots up the system complains about not being able to find any users or groups for example clamav will not start not will squid nor will sshd.

Any Suggestions?

Jim