Re: OT Re: FastQ

Author: Austin Godber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT Re: FastQ
Bryce C wrote:
> Unrelated: How has the heat come close to destroying your Cox
> connections? Just wondering.

Well, I was told by the cable fixing guy that heat can negatively affect
the operation of many of the components that matter. And as evidence to
that my cable connection has started suffering major connection issues
... for instance, before I called them last week it got progressively
worse ... to the point where it went down every 10-20 minutes.

Also, the third to last time I had a problem (November) I wrote a perl
script to scrape the RF parameters from my cable modem ... and you can
see obvious general trends with those parameters as the weather gets
hotter ... well OK ... maybe they arent conclusive. I should also have
some tangible temperature data, which I haven't ...

You can also see daily oscillations, which perhaps can be attributed to
temperature ... but possibly not too ... I dunno

http://godber.org:8080/godber/info/all-monthly.png

The big bump you see in week 12 is from when they worked on my
connection ... I can't explain why it oscillated right back the old
steady state ... they haven't reverted the changes back to what it was
... as far as I know.

Also, I am not so much criticizing Cox at this point. There are lots of
factors contributing to my bad connection ... largely the existing wire
in this building, the heat and the fact that my signal has been split
last summer ... despite it not being their fault (whose responsibility
is the wiring afterall, not mine, thats for sure) it will probably cost
them my business ... and I have been a long time customer ... paying for
cable in two places at once for quite some time even ;)

Anyway, any fastq resellers still out there, if you want contact me off
list. I might be in the market in a month or two.

Austin