Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally reso…

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally resolved
On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 09:31, Ed Skinner wrote:

> How'm I doin'? Anyone care to comment / correct / clarify anything here? And
> does anyone know of a "good" tutorial on this (because I haven't found one
> yet)?

---
Yeah - you have this incredible knack for trying to draw absolute
conclusions for all of the wide variety of possible applications.

I think that the multi-homed machine is entirely different than a single
NIC system, is entirely different than a machine that is brought from
home, to the office and maybe to the coffee shop.

Yes, the point of dns is to provide name to ip address resolution so
that you don't have to maintain your /etc/hosts file. Yes,
127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain    localhost
is the minimum and possibly the only necessary entry in /etc/hosts.

Red Hat does offer the tool 'neat' - redhat-config-network that will
handle where to put these entries for you if you are uncertain where
they should go. It should (but probably doesn't) create the entry in
/etc/hosts automatically if you choose to put a name in the hostname
entry other than localhost.localdomain.

Craig