Re: TV Tricks

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: TV Tricks
Craig White wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 23:45, Kevin Brown wrote:
>

>>>Why won't it automatically log in as user mythtv without entering a
>>>password?
>>
>>Hmm, Could be a possibility of which X login app is running (XDM, KDM or GDM).
>>

> ---
> indeed the problem
> added DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE" to /etc/sysconfig/desktop fixed that
> ---
>
>>>4 Autostart mythfrontend
>>> - do I change /home/mythtv/.Xclients-default
>>> - from exec startkde
>>> - to exec startkde mythfrontend
>>
>>I don't think the exec option works that way. Try either two exec lines, e.g.
>>
>>exec startkde
>>exec mythfrontend
>>
>>or the better way is to get KDE itself to autostart it (like from a saved session)
>>

>>> is there a better way to automatically launch a startup application in
>>>KDE?
>>
>>KDE (and other WMs) have a way of saving the state of the windows you had open.
>> While this won't restore your desktop to exactly what you had (since it can't
>>actually save the state of each app) it at least gets them back up (e.g. all
>>those terminal windows, browser windows, etc...).
>>

> ---
> I'm a little uncomfortable with this but it is working. Saved settings
> have a way for stupid users (like me) to forget these things, close the
> app before logging off. I think Joe Toon is onto something with the
> 'Autostart' but I didn't see where KDE created such a beast or where it
> actually goes. I'll have to get back to that later when I have more
> time.
> ---
>
>>>Lastly - this is all about my lack of understanding of XFree86...If I
>>>have in my 'screen' section of XF86Config...
>>>
>>>Modes "800x600" "640x480"
>>>
>>>even if I switch to 640x480 using the control-shift-nkpd+ or - then the
>>>screen switches properly to 640x480 but on a 800x600 desktop which means
>>>that it will scroll and not at all suitable for a TV. There isn't any
>>>'modelines' in my 'Monitor' section so the only way I've been able to
>>>ensure no scrolling is to have only the "640x480" line in the Modes
>>>section which is too painful to even consider checking my email. Is
>>>there any other options?
>>
>>Sounds like when it switches to 640x480 it sets up a virtual size of 800x600
>>which is why you have to scroll.
>
> ---
> yep
> ---
>
>> From looking at the docs for XFree86 it appears that you can't alter this behavior:
>>
>><quote>
>>Virtual xdim ydim
>>     This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution to be used.
>>xdim must be a multiple of either 8 or 16 for most drivers, and a multiple of 32
>>when running in monochrome mode. The given value will be rounded down if this is
> [...]

You don't have to kill and restart X to do email. You can have a number of TTY
screens up on a single computer. In my example, you would boot to the
command-line rather than the X gui. Login the myth user and have its bash login
script fire up X with the 640x480 resolution. Once up, do Ctrl-Alt-F2 and login
your normal user (the one you want to do surfind and email with) and again start
X, but feed it the option to use a config that has the higher resolution. Now
you can just use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get to MythTV and Ctrl-Alt-F8 to get to your
user.....