Re: Port Knocking - An interesting idea

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Port Knocking - An interesting idea
Fred, thanks for reminding me about this... good stuff!

This is a concept that I first discovered in late 2000. I was
experimenting with the proof of concept code from FX of Phenoelit. His
code was called cd00r.c

http://www.phenoelit.de/stuff/cd00rdescr.html

I eventually got this working on an OpenBSD 2.6 firewall. It made me
feel much better about leaving sshd exposed. While I am not a fan of
security through of obscurity, I think of this as more like a
combination lock with 65,000+ digits on the dial.

About a year later, I noticed SAdoor from Claes M. Nyberg, which
expanded on the concept:

http://cmn.listprojects.darklab.org

Fire up your compilers!

...Kevin