Debian Monitor and Mouse Setup

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Debian Monitor and Mouse Setup
I have a bunch of questions about setting up my monitor
under Debian.

I originally set up Debian with a "generic" SVGA monitor.
Now I'd like to tell it that I have a Packard-Bell model
1020. (Of course "Generic" may be about as good at this
old unit can get, but I'd like to give it a shot.)

Note, Knoppix didn't ask me anything about my monitor, and
it set me up with a similar resolution.

What do I run to get into the dialog about the monitor?

It seems to me that I was asked about various resolutions
and color depths, but Ctrl-Alt-+ does not change anything.

Is there some reference in which I could look up settings
based on the monitor type?

And how can I determine what my current resolution is?

Thanks, Vic

P.S. -- Here is the display portion of my config:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         ### Available Driver options are:-
         ### [arg]: arg optional
         #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
         #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
         #Option     "MMIO"                      # [<bool>]
         #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
         #Option     "Rotate"                    # [<str>]
         #Option     "MemCFG1"                   # <i>
         #Option     "MemCFG2"                   # <i>
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "cirrus"
         VendorName  "Cirrus Logic"
         BoardName   "GD5446"