Re: FTP GUI?

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: FTP GUI?
David Huerta wrote:

>Internet Explorer has that ability. Its the only time you won't get
>bombarded with popups.
>
>--
>+ David "Huertanix" Huerta
>+ DeVry Linux User Group
>+ http://www.devrylinux.org
>
>On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Victor Odhner wrote:
>

>>Is anybody aware of free software or freeware
>>that allows drag-and-drop FTP on a Windows
>>platform? I found nothing in the GNU
>>repertoire. (Since this is a Windows shop,
>>I can't be pushing anything that demands an
>>X server -- I guess Gnome and KDE both have
>>this base covered by now.)
>>
>>This isn't for me: I can't imagine needing
>>a GUI for FTP. (I do admit to being a
>>WinZip fan, that's the only software I've
>>shelled out money for in the past several
>>years.)
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Vic

The problem with that is that it sends blank passwords when you're not
connected.
Depending upon what client (Win98, ME, 2000, etc...)YMMV.
Once you make an FTP connection, it becomes part of the registry and
attaches it to "My Network Places". If you close your browser window,
your 'sent' password is blank until you 'login'. When you open Windows
Explorer and your Explorer searches the network, FTP sites are included
and a login attempt is made.
Check the logfiles of the ftp server. I see it on Windows servers
WinNT4, 2000, 2003 and VSFTPD on Linux