Re: X configuration question - XFree86 output

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: X configuration question - XFree86 output
On Friday 05 March 2004 13:30, you wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> >>My guess is that the newer version of XFree86 is failing and it's falling
> >>back on version 3.3.6, which as I said before doesn't recognize the
> >> radeon card and configures it as a crappy generic VGA.
> >
> > I don't see how it could fall back to old 3.3.6 version. Normally, you
> > can't have both X servers installed at same time in same location -- they
> > conflict with each other. If you have both, then you probably have
> > problems.
> >
> > If you have both, I'd suggest you move all your X out of the way and
> > reinstall it.
> >
> > What does "XFree86 -configure" tell you?

It reports that XFree86's version is 4.0.3 - strange, since startx starts up
3.3.6. It also says that the video chipset can't be found in its database -
which probably means that the file, whereever it is, got corrupted. (I
think!)

> True to a degree. RH back in the 7.x days actually shipped with XFree86 4
> and 3.3.6. The server itself was most likely 4.x, but had some stuff that
> made it backwards compatible to XFree86 3.3.6
>
> Take a look at the list of XFree86 rpms that came with 7.2:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/
>
> it is a mixture of 4.1.0 and 3.3.6

In my Mandrake 8 install disk there are both 4.0.3 and 3.3.6 version RPM's.
But all the 3.3.6 RPM's appear to be supplementary stuff like fonts and
drivers; I figure they probably were still compatible with 4.0.3.

Oh well, I got my Mandrake 8 partitions backed up. Time to blow them away
and do a new install ... Thanks anyway, guys, for your comments. It's all
knowledge that may come in handier at a later time.

Vaughn