X configuration question

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: X configuration question
Heres another funny one for you:

On my main system, I have Mandrake 8, Mandrake 9.1, and Red Hat 9. I use
Mandrake 8 most of the time because I have a program that won't run on a
newer version. Recently I booted the system in Knoppix and re-ran LILO
because I had my boot menu messed up so I couldn't get to the other two
installs. Now I can boot all three. BUT...

Something funny happened to the Mandrake 8 setup. The X configuration files
got messed up in a major way. They both got updated by Drake and my old
copies were zeroed out. The system no longer does any better than 640x480.
My video card (ATI Radeon) is no longer specified in the file. I tried
using HardDrake to select it, but the program hangs after I click on the
Radeon entry. Another odd thing - I'm not sure where the video driver
modules have gone. I have another system, also running Mandrake 8, which has
them under /usr/X11R6/modules/drivers, but this tree was totally missing on
the afflicted system. I copied it over to the messed-up system, but that
didn't fix the HardDrake hang behavior.

Another thing puzzles me: the hosed-up system has both the XF86Config and
XF86Config-4 files in the /etc/X11 directory. It's my understanding that X
should be using the "-4" file and only using the old one if the first one
isn't present. I tried copying the XF86Config-4 file from the Mandrake 9.1
partition (when booting that, the video worked fine- and being on the same
machine, the hardware's the same, so shouldn't this work?) but it changed
nothing. So I then tried messing with XF86Config, and it DID mess it up so X
wasn't able to start. I was able to restore the previous file, so I got it
back running on its pathethic resolution. But why would the system not be
using the "-4" file? Could that be the cause of my troubles? I tried
running the command-line xf86config program, but it didn't have the Radeon in
its list. Then I tried copying over XF86Config from the other Mandrake 8
system, and hand-editing the video adapter entry. That didn't fix the
problem. When I ran "startx" from text mode, I noticed a bunch of messages
that said "XXXxYYY resolution requires vertical rate X, deleting." The error
messages implied that the horizontal (30-82) and vertical (56-76) settings
for my monitor were too limited. But these are the same rates that were
auto-detected in Mandrake 9.1 and in Mandrake 8 on the other machine! (These
two systems are on a switch, so they use the same monitor, keyboard, and
trackball.)

Can anyone offer me a suggestion of what to try next?

Thanks!

Vaughn