Re: Upgrading KDE

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Upgrading KDE
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Steven Cain wrote:

> Does anyone know what the procedure is to upgrade KDE? I'm trying to update
> my KDE to 3.2 but when I try to update the prequisites, the more I try
> ....the more prereqs I need. I've got the developer version of United Linux
> 1.0 and it seems like it doesn't have must for prereqs. These are the
> messages I get when I try to rpm any file like arts-1.2.0-2:
>
> libXcursor.so.1 is needed by .....
> libXft.so.2 is needed by .....
> libXrandr.so.2 is needed by .....
> libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
> libfontconfig.so.1
> libmad.so.0
> libpng.so.3
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)
> libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2)

Yikes... Is your heart set on using United Linux? You could install
Fedora or Debian and use the official KDE 3.2 RPMs/Debs. They installed
without any problems for me. Otherwise you might wait until your distro
of choice includes KDE 3.2... Is UL still being maintained?
I'm sure you could eventually get KDE 3.2 installed on your UL box, but it
would probably be a long and extremely frustrating process.
~M