OT: Pin-pointing Hard Drive Failure

Author: Bill Jonas
Subject: OT: Pin-pointing Hard Drive Failure
--G9m07da55tKJni3T

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:51:40AM -0700, Liberty Young wrote:
> Before i spend the money on a new laptop hard drive, I was wondering
> If anybody on this list has seen or had similar problems with their
> laptop and is there anything else i can try or look into before
> plopping down the money for a new drive?

I can't recall seeing that on a laptop, but I've seen it on an old
eMachines computer when using the CD-ROM drive (and even after switching
out the drive, which along with other problems with that system leads me
to believe it's the controller). I've also seen the same thing when
attaching a failing hard drive to a system to try to recover data off of
it.

It would be an excellent idea to back all your data *now*.

If the system won't stay up while you're doing that, you can get a
40-to-44-pin IDE adapter for $5-6 and attach the drive to a desktop
system. I know that CompUSA has them, and Fry's probably does.

--=20
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins

--G9m07da55tKJni3T

--G9m07da55tKJni3T--