HylaFax and metamail

Author: Bill Earl
Subject: HylaFax and metamail
> > We went through this same issue a few months back. We chose to install
> > metamail and havent had any problems, but that server is only used for
> > HylaFax and Jabber, so your mileage may vary. :-) We use sendmail on

that
> > system to send e-mail copies of the fax results and that's working fine,

so
> > it doesn't seem to have broken sendmail in any new ways.
> >
> > Bill Earl
> > Network Admin
> > 623.516.4700 phone
> > 623.587.7787 fax
> > www.bestbill.com
> >

> Thanks for the info, Bill. Do you recall if you built metamail from
> source or installed it from binary? I've found the source for it ok but
> am having trouble finding a RH9 binary. I'll build it myself if I have
> to, but a RH9 binary rpm would be nice...
>
> -shubes

Eric,

RedHat apparently dropped metamail as of RH 8.0, but included it in the
default install before then. We just used the rpm from Red Hat 7.3, plucked
from an old RH73 CD, but it's also at RPMFind:

ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/redhat/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/metamail-2.7-28.i386.rpm

I was concerned about problems installing a 7.3 rpm onto a 9.0 system, but
my log shows we didn't get into any other dependency issues when installing
that file.

I found a lot of discussion on the HylaFax discussion list about this around
the end of last year, but didn't find any messages from anyone having
problems from installing metamail. Again, YMMV. ;-)

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/

I think there's a link in there somewhere from someone who had built a
RH9-specific metamail RPM file, but we ended up not needing it.

Bill