Help with custom Telnet Application

Author: Jeff Seese
Subject: Help with custom Telnet Application
Group,
I have been trying for several days to figure out the telnet protocol
with for use in a custome application, but without any luck. Here is a
brief description of what I am trying to do, and what I have tried.

I am trying to write an application that will run on a sharp Zaurus,
telnet to a local machine, execute some commands and then close the
connection. I am developing this on a Redhat 9 box, in c++ and
xcompiling for the Zaurus.

I have found a few examples and source of telnet applications that I
can compile and get working for the Redhat platform, but they won't
compile with the arm-linux-g++ compiler.

I have read lots of RFC's and tried to go back into the code of these
working applications that I have found to figure out what the telnet
protocol is, but I am afraid it's above my head.

I am able to write an application that does the following.
- open a socket to port 23 on the remote machine from the Zaurus.
- The remote machine reports that a telnet session has started in the
messages log file.
- then I try to send my userID and password, but nothing appears in the
log of the host machine, however I do get some odd looking characters
returned to the Zaurus. (yyp#!ypy##.....) This is where I need help.

If I could get a simple example of a telnet handshake so I could figure
out what I am supposed to be sending it, and what I should expect that
would be great.

Unfortunately I can't use Perl and the net::telnet.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Also, I know this is not exactly the correct list to offer to pay for
help..... But I am
willing to pay for help.

js