configure evolution for pop to download only unread email

Author: Craig White
Subject: configure evolution for pop to download only unread email
On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 10:42, wrote:
> Is there a way to congfigure evolution to download only unread email,
> otherwise my mail client wants to download 8000 messages.

---
WRT your question, 'leave messages on server' is essentially that
setting but you have to recognize that the first time any MUA attempts
to contact a pop server that it has never dealt with before, IT HAS TO
download whatever is there.

WRT mail philosophy, pop3 is a rather unintelligent system of using
mail. It is geared to pull the mail off the server and onto your local
filesystem and the 'leave messages on server' is more of a alternate was
of saying - I'm gonna pay for this mess later.

Use IMAP whenever/wherever possible. Delete messages whenever/wherever
possible. Leaving messages on server in POP3 means that all those spam
messages and virii are waiting there for another shot at your computer.

Craig