Which distro for the enterprise now?

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Which distro for the enterprise now?
On Feb 4, 2004, at 10:12 PM, Craig White wrote:

> Some real facts remain...People don't understand the concept of FOSS.
> Businesses are used to paying for software and cannot comprehend how
> they can get something for free from one company and it costs real
> money
> from another company. They think that someone is screwing the pooch.
>
> I read the following article in a magazine that is sent to
> me...Optimize
> <http://www.optimizemag.com/issue/027/law.htm>
>
> I cannot believe the FUD that is so pervasive.
>
> Anyway, businesses need something that they can trust. If/when a better
> software package comes around, businesses will figure it out. Red Hat
> isn't doing anything that any other packager can't do too, probably
> better and more affordable for the end user. It is after all, just one
> of many, many choices in the marketplace.

You seem to be arguing both that businesses in general don't *get* FOSS
and that they do, or at least that they soon will. I think the evidence
that you present, the clearly idiotic article from optimizemag, bears
more directly on another point, the decline of journalism.

I think the fact that the financial press doesn't get FOSS should only
be taken as evidence of the incompetence of the financial press.
Unfortunately, there is ample evidence that the press as a whole is
decreasingly competent. This is very scary. It impacts things far more
important than software.

I absolutely believe this guy:<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4361>