article on expocity

Author: Alex Earl
Subject: article on expocity
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 00:37, Austin Godber wrote:
>> They are that much better than perl's gnome bindings? I am just getting
>> into this GUI programming so if you could provide an example of what
>> would constitute "excellent" vs not excellent I would be quite happy. I
>> don't mean to put you on the spot Ted, you can get back to me on this if
>> you want :)
>
> To be entirely honest, I don't know. I've just talked to people who
> have made that comment. It seems to be consensus. It does seem like
> atleast the breadth of the Python bindings are much larger. They
> include things like GStreamer bindings, which I don't believe that Perl
> does. I can't think of any large GNOME-Perl programs... but GRAMPS and
> Straw both come to mind in the Python camp.
>
> Many people are also saying that they like Mono and GTK# - I don't know
> how I feel about the whole "Microsoft may come in and destroy
> everything" issue about using C# though. It seems like there are a few
> applications starting to come out using Mono and GTK#, we'll see if it
> catches on.
>
> If you're doing small stuff, I'd definitely recommend Glade - it makes
> life a lot easier. It can get a bit cumbersome on large projects, but
> sure makes that prototyping very easy.
>
>         --Ted

I have been using Mono on Linux for pretty much the whole time its been
around and it has matured really well. I like it better than the MS
authored one because there are some bugs in the MS one that aren't in Mono
(such as a garbage collection issue which leads to memory leaks and slow
applications). I have tested Mono pretty fully with multithreading,
sockets, and remoting and have been extremely pleased, they are all
console apps which once compiled on a Linux box can be run on a Windows
box and vice versa. The good folks at Mono are even working on the
WinForms stuff using winelib so that many GUI applications will be cross
platform as well. I also think that since C# and the CLI (common language
infrastructure) are ISO and ECMA standards, it takes away some of the
things that MS could do to try and undermine the language and .NET
framework in general.

Just my 2 cents

Alex