Which distro for the enterprise now?

Author: der.hans
Subject: Which distro for the enterprise now?
Am 03. Feb, 2004 schw=E4tzte Derek Neighbors so:

> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 17:29, der.hans wrote:
> > Am 02. Feb, 2004 schw=E4tzte Derek Neighbors so:

> > What's to prevent the other support vendor from making the software
> > unavailable?
>
> I don't understand the question. In the case of Debian, the software is
> available w/o a vendor. Only the support is supplied by the vendor. At
> which point if such a vendor started acting in ways I didn't like I have
> the option to leave them for a better vendor.

What's to prevent me from buying RHEL, removing references to RH and RH
logos, then selling it as FEL ( fred's Enterprise Linux )?

> I guess for me, why be the RIAA. Why treat your customers like thieves
> by default? If I buy support for 10 machines. I run 10 machines. Why
> go through licensing mechanisms to force me to prove it?

Because people/companies will buy support for one machine, then try to
pretend that all the machines they have are that one machine.

I agree it's not a great, but I don't have a better suggestion right now.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans