Which distro for the enterprise now?

Author: der.hans
Subject: Which distro for the enterprise now?
Am 02. Feb, 2004 schw=E4tzte Thomas Cameron so:

> > whether it is a fraction of the cost of Windows or no cost at all is
> > only part of the cost picture - far beyond the cost of acquisition, is
> > the cost of setup and maintenance over time. Total lifetime cost is the
> > real issue and I think that in this scenario (cost), that the RHEL
> > products probably are a great value - time always tells.
>
> Agreed. We've done TCO models at Bank of America and found that we will
> save millions of dollars using Red Hat. I also agree that we will know
> better when we are looking at the problem with hindsight.
>
> > All of this focus on cost of course, neglects the other but certainly
> > more important issue of what truly constitutes 'free software' - not
> > free as in beer.
>
> To be honest, we don't put as much importance on the Free (as in speech)
> part of Linux. We're not in the software development business, so the fa=

ct
> that we have access to source falls squarely in the "Nice" column, not th=

> "Must Have."

Hmm, I certainly want my financial institutions to have the "Free Speech",
so they can audit the code and fix problems. Not near as important as for m=
health service providers, but more susceptable to corruption for profit
schemes.

> Fedora's model is very similar to that of Debian in that community
> involvement is a big piece.

Yes. I have high hopes for it. Thus far I think Fedora has adopted some goo=
changes ( especially apt-get/yum model of updates ).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
#  are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic
#  and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
#  -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918