RESOLVED Re: OT: Un-finalized Music CD/R Recovery

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: RESOLVED Re: OT: Un-finalized Music CD/R Recovery
On Monday 02 February 2004 13:29, Ed Skinner wrote:
>      I have an audio CD/R recording of our church's service from last w=

eek
> that I can't playback on any of the several machines (audio players to =

CD
> players in computers). I'm guessing the disk wasn't "finalized" (what d=

oes
> that mean, anyway?).
>      Visually, however, I can see that the disk has been recorded upon.
>      Is there any way to recover the recording?
>      I'd prefer Linux tools, of course, but won't rule out others.

     For anyone who's interested (and for the archive), I tried a couple =
of=20
alternatives before finding the correct solution.
     First, I wondered if I could simply "mount /mnt/cdrom" but, no, that=
=20
failed (something about the "header" on the CD wasn't liked).
     Next, I tried to copy the device: dd if=3D/dev/cdrom of=3Dcopy_of_cd=
rom.iso
but that, too, fails ("dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error").
     But finally, someone (in NetNews group comp.os.linux.development.app=
s)=20
suggested "cdparanoia -fix" to go ahead and fixate the disk. Although I=20
wasn't 100% certain that was the problem, the disk was otherwise trash so=
 I=20
reasoned, "Why not?"
     And that worked. The disk is now a vanilla music CD and can be playe=
d in=20
all the normal ways.

--=20
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/