Slightly OT: WIreless Networking

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Slightly OT: WIreless Networking
Kyle Faber wrote:
> Do I *need* a wireless access point to utilize 802.11b/a/g, or can I just use
> two laptops in the same room with PCMCIA cards? I realize the power output
> is much lower but could I do it if the two systems are never more than 10
> feet apart?

Wireless Networks operate in two different modes, infrastructure and
ad-hoc. Infrastructure is when you have an access point and ad-hoc is
when you just have two clients like you described. Check out the
manpage for iwconfig, it should discuss ad-hoc mode.

Also, depending on the wireless card you have you can use drivers that
allow you to use your laptop as an access point. Check out hostap.

Austin