dns server propagation?

Author: Craig White
Subject: dns server propagation?
On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 19:53, jason pearl wrote:

> I set up my dns server. and i htink its working properly... I use my own
> nameserver to resolve domain names. Does it still take 2 days for the root
> servers to see my nameservers ? GOdadddy doesnt recongnize my ns1.jpearl.org
> yet. It has only been 12 hours since i have set it up. Will the root servers
> pick up my SOA? Named said it was sending notifies when it started.. thanks

---
I would expect that GOdaddy's nameservers would begin serving resolution
for your domain within a few hours if not almost instantly...they are
all different.

What you cannot control is the non-authoritative dns servers which have
their own schedules for updating their cache.

There's a lot of information out there on this but you can always
check...

dig [@any_name_server_you_want] fqdn

if you omit @any_name_server_you_want then it will use the first name
server entry in /etc/resolv.conf

if you choose godaddy's name server...
i.e.
dig @wsc1.jomax.net jpearl.org

it would appear that your dns setup hasn't migrated down to their server
yet so the rest of the world wouldn't be able to resolve anything for
jpearl.org yet. The 48 hours is to cover the time it may take to get
other nameservers to clear their cache and force another full lookup of
jpearl.net. Thus, once godaddy's web server is actually 'authoritative'
for your domain, it still make take 2 days to be sure that every other
dns server will autmatically know this info too.

Craig