Linux Virus Scanners

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: Linux Virus Scanners
technomage wrote:
> try www.free-av.com.
> they have a linux capable virus scanner (it uses the dazuko engine) and can
> auto-update daily if set so.
>
> I use it here and its been a real life saver. :)

Hey Mage,

What kind of lives has it saved?

I know that virus scanning is used on mail servers under
Linux, to prevent passing on Microsoft viruses.

I know that there have been worms (I guess Morris wrote the book
before Microsoft became the prime target) that could exploit
sendmail, etc. But the *nix world has tightened up in the past
decade or so.

I also know that Linux is not exempt from viruses, though
if you don't let them have root there's a limit to the
harm they can do. I suppose if you actually executed one
(what did they call that, the "courtesy virus" or something?)
it could use an ordinary account to launch a DOS attack
and publish your address book.

But I'm not aware of anything worth mentioning that's been in
the wild over the past few years.

Have I been sleeping through something here?

Vic