X.org and XFree86.org

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: X.org and XFree86.org
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Nathan England wrote:

> I didn't realize there were two organizations.

In fact, there are more than two; I think there are at least 5 (but can't
remember names now). (freedesktop.org is one and I have done a small
amount of porting of XFree86 code to autoconf tools and imported to
freedesktop.org. On some boxes I use freedesktop.org xlibs instead of
XFree86 versions.)

> What is the difference, are they both free?

XFree86 was (years ago) a port to x86 architecture. Then they took over
as the main (and popular) open source X11 (for other architectures too).

I don't know if x.org has code available. Both would be free (because of
standard MIT-style license).

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net/