Used to be: Re: Linux in business

Author: Craig White
Subject: Used to be: Re: Linux in business
On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 02:12, Steve Smith wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > And an Apple OS X runing on intel based hardware wouldn't do much good
> > simply because it would have to run legacy 'DOS' and 'Windows' apps.
> > That ain't gonna happen. Apple's hardware is quite good, some of it is
> > cheap enough. The problem isn't the hardware, it's the perception that
> > Apple isn't Microsoft that drives people to stick with Apple.
> >

> I was thinking of the "Grandmother Who Wants a Computer" user
> demographic. Gramma doesn't want or need legacy DOS or Windows apps. She
> wants an information appliance - ideally without BSODs, registry
> corruption, viruses, trojans and popup porn. A simple, predictable
> interface, pretty... A Mac, but dirt cheap like a legacy PC - for people
> who've outgrown WebTV. I further decree that Apple should follow the
> Lindows app-selling model: she doesn't like to browse around Fry's
> either :-)

---
your Grandmother user, cheap, unknowledgeable is going to create files
that she can't find and might very well appreciate pop-up porn. As for
Apple following the app-selling model...what apps? Anyway, Apple has the
eMac for the under $1000 crowd
---
> OS X *is* the very first version of MacOS that doesn't (somewhat
> inexplicably) piss me off from the moment I start using it, but I don't
> use it enough to have a real opinion on most of the features. The way
> apps are installed kicks butt over Windows, and Linux too when I think
> about it for too long.
>
> I think it'd be a better fit for The Masses than any current Windows
> offering, and I don't begrudge Apple taking a large chunk of Microsoft's
> non-corporate-user revenue.

---
The way apps are installed doesn't allow you to choose where they are
installed (OS X) - it's truly another Apple over-simplification that
ends up cheating the end user and of course, there is no 'un-installer'
application (still).

As for anyone taking a large chunk of any of Microsoft's revenues, only
stockholders and employees of Microsoft would hate to see this happen.
The rest of the world is not indifferent to this. Apple has had ample
opportunity to do this and has consistently blundered.

Craig