Open Source Economics

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Open Source Economics
On Jan 23, 2004, at 3:34 PM, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> Chris Gehlker said:
>> On Jan 23, 2004, at 9:43 AM, Phil Mattison wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to understand the economic rationale behind the open
>>> source
>>> philosophy, and I think I see an apparent contradiction. From what
>>> I've seen
>>> so far it seems there are two economic motives for contributing to
>>> open source projects. (Ignoring those who do it just for fun.)
>>
>> The reality is that the best programmers, like the best artists and
>> athletes, are going to practice their art regardless of what they get
>> paid. Of course they want to be paid fortunes but it doesn't really
>> make them more productive.
>
> In fact, if we follow your analogy (which is good). Often times paying
> them more or giving them excessive fame actually DEGRADES their
> performance. Often times you hear of pro athletes longing to play like
> they did back on the "street" or musicians wanting it to be "raw" like
> when they first began. I think often times programmers too want that
> "rush".
>
> When you program for someone else. You are constrained by THEIR rules
> and
> desires. When write software for yourself you live under YOUR rules.
> For
> many (especially established programmers) this is a very driving force.
>
> I know for me I did a lot of Free Software work early on because I
> could
> "play" with technologies I wasn't allowed to at work. :)
>
> -Derek

I think you are right that the analogy can be pushed further. It's easy
to envision an athlete who has the potential to be the worlds greatest
volleyball player. But, because basketball players earn so much, she
allows herself to be diverted into that sport where she is only
mediocre. Likewise it is easy to see how a programmer who had the
potential to do something brilliant in one area might be tempted by
enough money to move to another area where they are merely competent.

I don't know how wise it is to inform potential employers that we work
better for free, though. maybe we should abandon this thread. ;-)