Open Source Economics

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Open Source Economics
On Jan 23, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Ed Skinner wrote:

>      Linux in particular, and FOSS in general, are about 10x more
> difficult to
> use in an embedded system than any of the commercial RTOSs or other
> commercial products. (I base that multiplier on my experience in these
> two
> specific fields.) For more traditionally configured systems (other than
> embedded), the multiplier would be a smaller number, but still
> significantly
> higher than 1x.

I keep hearing that TRON based systems and ITRON in particular dominate
the embedded market. In fact it is often reported that in terms of
total deployments TRON beats Windows + *nix hands down. This family of
OSes is available under the TOPPERS license. I don't see TOPPERS on the
OSI approved list but maybe they simply haven't asked. The Ruby license
isn't there either. Certainly nobody could seriously call TOPPERS a
commercial license.