Novell and SuSE

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Novell and SuSE
--=-vVgDc7eX0dzpEdBNhDM3

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 00:55, Mike wrote:
> Gentlemen,=20
>     It was not my intention to make any of you red faced and uptight. I was=20

It is important to discuss these issues. As the more people that
understand them the better off we are. Regardless of what side of an
argument someone falls, it only helps all of society for them to be
informed. :)

> simply sending out a news flash for anyone who may have been interested. =

I=20
> must say however, you have all enlightened me, and made me think about ma=

ny=20
> issues here. I will agree that the GPL gives you rights, not many but nei=

ther=20
> does a copyright.

I am not sure how you can say that. The GPL pretty much extends you
unlimited rights, until you distribute to someone else and then it just
restricts you to not removing others rights during redistribution. The
only licenses I know that give you more rights are ones like the BSD's
that don't restrict you at all on redistribution.

> I don't know about the RPL, but it sounds ok. It is my=20
> understanding that SCO is suing for copyright infringement (even though t=

hey=20
> didn't right the code or apply for the copyright) and intellectual proper=

ty=20

Seeing how I responded to email backwards today because I am over
tired. I answered this in another mail. :)

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org