Too minimal GUI problem

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: Too minimal GUI problem
Yesterday I did a "halt" command as root in a Konsole under KDE. As it
proceeded I wondered if that was a good idea. I heard the hard drive
power down, indicating the halt operation was done but the screen still
had the blank desktop and mouse pointer on it. To late to do anything
about it, I shut off the box.

Now this morning I ran "startx" as usual from the shell. My GUI is now a
completely blank desktop (no icons, no menu, nothing) and a mouse cursor
that I can move around. That's it. I can do a Ctl-Alt-F2 and get to
another shell login and then Ctl-Alt-F7 back to the blank desktop. But, a
blank desktop is too mininmal of a GUI to be useful.

How do I restore the GUI settings to get my environment back? Any ideas?

It is a basic Red Hat 7.3 and KDE install.

Alan