Swap Question

Author: der.hans
Subject: Swap Question
Am 13. Jan, 2004 schw=E4tzte Mark Phillips so:

> When I installed Debian unstable on my laptop it had 128 MB of RAM. I am
> planning to add 512MB of RAM (total of 640 MB). Do I need to increase my
> swap space?

You're probably fine.

> Right now I have 256MB of swap (I think) based on the old rule of thumb
> where swap =3D 2 X Physical Memory. However, I have read that nowadays
> that rule of thumb is obsolete, and that 256 MB of swap is more than
> enough for most applications. I run KDE, Java development tools
> (Netbeans, HTML editors, image editors, etc.), MySQL, PostgreSQL,
> Apache and Tomcat on my laptop.

I think the excuse today is for a system dump in case of crash. If you're
not planning on debugging kernel core dumps you don't need room for 'em :).

At the same time, disk is cheap. One GB for swap from a 40+ GB hard drive
isn't much. I'm more conservative on my laptop. So conservative, in fact,
that I seem to have borken swap altogether.

/me investigates...

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding=
=2E"
#    -- Albert Einstein