Linux wireless

Author: Entelin
Subject: Linux wireless
I just got a new laptop, a Toshiba 5205-S119 and I got everything
working perfect except the wireless card.

My biggest problem is that I am completely new to wireless, this is the
first time I have ever set up 802.11 on anything. So Ive been reading,
googling, and compiling the past few days and I think I am at the point
where I can at least ask an informed question.

The device works (as of 3 secs ago), it uses the orinoco_cs driver, and
searches on google resulted in a few people reporting success with this
driver on that card. It's an internal pcmcia mini card. However I have
one rather large issue still now that I got it working finally. I cant
change channels on the card, its stuck at channel 10. Heres some
screens.

cardctl ident

Socket 0:
    product info: "TOSHIBA", "Wireless LAN Card", "Version 01.01", ""
manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
    function: 6 (network)

iwconfig --version

iwconfig  Version 26
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v16 or earlier,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v15.

eth1      Recommend Wireless Extension v11 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v15.

2.4.22 (compiled from gentoo sources)
orinoco_cs              4628   0  (unused)
orinoco                36492   0  [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  5796   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]

iwconfig eth1 channel 1

Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

I am thinking of trying a new vanilla kernel.

Think I am going to write a doc for linux-laptop.net when I get
everything working completely.

Thanks for your help! :)
--
Entelin <>