CD sound

Author: Craig White
Subject: CD sound
On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 09:56, fhdavenport wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> I have the same problem. The "event sounds" play just fine, but whatever application I try and play a CD with just runs the timer without any sound. It's funny, the old Soundblaster ISA card worked fine, it's the newer motherboard integrated AC-97 that isn't happy.
>
> I couldn't figure it out either. I bet someone on here knows the fix.
>
> Frank Davenport

----
often times, the music isn't heard when played from a CD because the
audio cable from the cd drive isn't plugged into the motherboard sound
or the sound card in the PCI/ISA slot.

Once you have verified that the cable is indeed in place, you need to
verify that the 'sound' mixer has a volume setting and isn't muted for
the cd sound input.

If you still don't have sound, then you have to begin the process of
tracking the problem down via modules - I got the impression that SuSE
handles all of this for you.

Craig