YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
On Thursday 08 January 2004 20:07, you wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 12:02 pm, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > 1. The protection schema to prevent "pirating" severely limits your right
> > to fair use. If I remember correctly (it's been a while) you can only
> > install XP on two machines/processors and then it refuses to install
> > anymore. So if you have a motherboard or processor blow out or heavens
> > to betsy you upgrade. You could find yourself on a long (and likely
> > expensive) phonecall trying to justify why you have to install XP for the
> > third time.
>
> I am constantly repartitioning, changing, installing new hard ware on my
> system. Can't tell you how many times I have installed Windows XP or had
> to call Microsoft. I think at one point they told me I've called 42 times.

So far I've avoided going to XP on principle, but I admit that the windows XP
registration scheme is, so far, mostly just a hassle, but it's still a
hassle, which makes Linux look better. Having installed both Windows and
Linux on many occasions, I consider them to be about of equal difficulty,
with each having their own strengths and weaknesses. The reason Windows
"seems" easier is because most people get it preinstalled, and rather than
upgrading, a lot of folks just buy a new computer.

> The point though, is that there was no expensive phone calls. You call
> the number on the screen and they quickly give you another code to type in.
> No biggy! I've done this for myself and many customers.
>
> > 2. If you install install service pack 1 for XP, you agree to let
> > microsoft have full access to your computer remotely without notifying
> > you. It even goes as far as to say they can INSTALL software or UPGRADE
> > software if they feel it necessary[0]. Of course, they state they would
> > never abuse this. You could certainly not install sp 1, but then you are
> > open to about 3 or 4 of the known nasties in the wild.
>
> This sounds like someone who is using their computer for illegal purposes
> and is paranoid?

This is one thing I strongly disagree with - the "if you're doing nothing
wrong you've got nothing to hide" argument. It's less of a big deal with a
private company like MS than with the government, but it's still a problem.
(And these days, most private companies turn over every scrap of our personal
info to the government without any kind of warrant or anything, with the
ridiculous exuse that they're "fighting terrorism.") Privacy is one of the
things that keeps our society relatively free, because if the big guys CAN
control your life, they WILL.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.