what does it mean

Author: Nathan England
Subject: what does it mean
--=-ZVUR07uDc1k5UZLxN05M

Before you log into X, KDE, Gnome, whatever, while looking at the X
login screen, press CTRL-ALT-F[1-6] until you get a console login. Then
cd to your tmp directory and delete everything.=20
You might also want to go into the .kde dir in your home directory and
look for the=20
socket-"hostname" and tmp-"hostname"
and delete those as well. They are links to your tmp folders in the tmp
directory. That will force KDE to recreate its tmp directories.

nathan

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 11:01, Michael Havens wrote:
> Are you saying that I should do it before it boots straight into X.. How =

do I prevent it from going into X?
> :-)Mike(-:

time
> > the system is rebooted. In practice, however, this doesn't always happe=

n (but
>=20
> I'd suggest instead of clearing tmp before rebooting that it is done righ=

> at reboot. Mike, have a look for cleantmp or related tools or just do you=

> own rm at boot time early (right after /tmp is available) in the boot
> order.
>=20
> Cleaning tmp (even when logged out) may accidently delete some files in
> use by some tasks that are needed.
>=20
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
> Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spa=

m or viruses.
> Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blo=

cked from your
> E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE =

with every account.=20
>=20
>=20
> http://www.vei.net/

--=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id:

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
--Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

--=-ZVUR07uDc1k5UZLxN05M

--=-ZVUR07uDc1k5UZLxN05M--