YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
On Jan 7, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Carl Parrish wrote:

> I am *seriously* considering getting a G4 putting yellow dog on it and
> running mac4linux on top of it. Has anyone attempted to do this. Does
> this work nicely for you?

I tried it and had some problems getting my printer to be recognized. I
can't say that I ever got the printer to function perfectly in all
apps. In fact I would say that the weak spot in PPC Linux is device
drivers. YDL is just now getting to the point where my usb speakers and
FireWire external Hard Drive and CD burner are supported. Even now I
can't get Linux to boot from a FireWire drive. I have to say that my
speakers sound awesome.

What does work very well now is HFS+ support from the Linux side. This
makes dual booting really practical.